1.08.2008

Indy Rocks!

So I registered to vote in late November, when I got my official Florida drivers license.

Since my first exercise in democracy in 2000, I've never registered with a party, mainly because I think the two-party system is a joke. Also, as a journalist, I tend to live by the notion that aligning oneself with a party could allow people to question your neutrality — even if you are just covering sports.

Who knows, I thought, maybe I'll work in news some day (or run for office), so I better play it safe and keep bumper stickers off my truck, my signature off partisan petitions and my vote out of the primaries.

Then I moved to Florida. When I got my license, the DMV lady asked me what party I'd like to register with. "I'm an Indpendent," I replied.

I got my registration card a few weeks later, and, low and behold, I'm registered with the Independence Party of Florida.

Long story short, I called the election office today and asked them to change my status to "unaffiliated with a party," though because the elections books are officially closed as of Dec. 31, for the rest of time, when my future enemies look back at my voting record, I will officially have been a member of the Independent Party for a month.

Please vote for me anyway in 2036.

No comments: